Excessive sleepiness, is a disorder in which a person has trouble staying awake during the day. People who suffer with this can fall asleep at any time; for instance, at work or while they are driving. They may also have other sleep related problems, including a lack of energy and trouble thinking clearly.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, up to 40% of people have some symptoms of Excessive sleepiness disorder from time to time.
The problem becomes more severe when we just can't stay awake and it interrupts our quality of life.
Most of us will grab a cup of coffee in an effort to stay awake. If you are a coffee lover, you will agree it's only possible to drink so much coffee. There may be any number of reasons why we have trouble staying awake during the day.
There are several potential causes of excessive sleepiness in the daytime including:
- The (interruptions of breathing during sleep)at night.
- Sleep deprivation, Not getting enough sleep at night
- Being Overweight
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- A neurological disease,
- Prescription drugs such as tranquilizers or antihistamines
- Genetics (having a relative with this disorder)
*** If you are diagnosed with not being able to stay awake during the day or excessive sleepiness there are ways your doctor can help.
How can Essential Oils Help?
Essential Oils come in small bottles, are highly concentrated and potent.
However they do offer a variety of benefits, some can invigorate the senses and help us feel energised.
There are many ways to use oils or oil blends to help us stay awake and be more productive.
Some ways to use Essential Oils to help:
1. Cup and Inhale: Put 1 drop in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup and inhale.
2. Diffuse: A Diffuser is perfect for private spaces. Add your favourite energising oil or blend and enjoy the boost of energy it gives. To diffuse you only need 4 or 5 drops in the diffuser.
3. Roller bottle Blend: Use a blend in a roller bottle, convenient to use on the go for a quick energising pick me up.
So which oils can we use to help stay awake
Here a few:
- Wild Orange Essential Oil is uplifting and improves energy levels for helping you stay awake.
- Peppermint Essential Oil contains menthol and offers a boost for both mental and physical vitality.
- Ginger Essential Oil stimulates the nerves and helps keep you pumped.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil helps relieve stress and reduces mental fatigue to increase energy.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil is earthy, fresh and invigorating to instantly offer a lift, balance energy and clear your mind.
- Frankincense Essential Oil helps alleviate unpleasant effects of feeling down and anxious and can help boost energy levels and help you stay awake.
- Lemon Essential Oil - When diffused, Lemon oil provides an uplifting environment and promotes a positive mood. Due to the chemical makeup of this oil, it has been shown to help improve mood with an energizing and invigorating aroma. If you want to diffuse Lemon oil, use three to four drops in the essential oil diffuser of your choice.
- Citrus Bliss Essential Oil this blend merges the major energising and refreshing benefits of citrus essential oils. The powerful essences of Wild Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot, Tangerine, Clementine, and a hint of Vanilla Absolute are combined to create this unique and harmonious blend that is sure to uplift and help with low energy and exhaustion.
Here are a couple of Recipes to help you stay awake:
MID AFTERNOON SLUMP BUSTER:
15 drops peppermint
20 drops Wild orange
10 drops Frankincense
Put the above oils in a 5ml roller bottle
top off with carrier oil
Apply to back of neck , rub into base of skull, swipe across
forehead near hairline, inhale.
1 drop Frankincense
1 drop Peppermint
2 drops Wild Orange
Inhale from cupped hands,massage on back of neck.